Friday, February 10, 2012

Rolling in the Deep

     Wow! I knew if I started this I wouldn't actually keep up with it. Ha! But I've been doing a lot of thinking today so I thought I would post another. Have you realized how many posts on Facebook have been about rights and people's opinions of them? Or even the video of the dad shooting his daughter's laptop (I just now watched that). I don't usually like arguing, so I don't make my opinions known often. I do definitely have opinions, though. Today some of us got to talking about gay rights. It was with church friends, so keep in mind that we all have one belief that it's a sin. But where we all had the discussion was on the rights of marriage. Now, if it came down to me having to vote about it, I would vote no. Simply because I feel it goes again my own beliefs. But here is my opinion so that I can clarify how I feel.
     I have some friends that are gay. One is a guy I grew up with. I couldn't imagine not loving that guy! He's fun and caring and seriously a great guy! When he first came out, he got condemned about it and asked some of us if we didn't want to be friends with him now, or something like that. My response, of course, was that I don't agree with it, but I will always be friends with him. I was talking with my mom today about all of this and it got me to thinking about my opinions. So here goes.
     As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I believe that marriage is between a woman and a man. My beliefs aren't just because it's what I have been told, it's because I have a testimony of it and feel that one of our main purposes in life was to procreate and this is impossible with a relationship between two of the same gender. I do not believe one is born gay, bi, or lesbian. I do, though, feel it is a battle that some have been given. Each of us are given a battle in life. Mine is depression and self confidence. Some may be that they get addicted to things easily. Some may be that they have trouble being humble. Each of us are given a battle. Without them, we wouldn't be able to grow. I believe that some are more susceptible to having feelings for someone of the same gender. Also, it isn't as acceptable in today's society for a man to be feminine or a girl to be masculine. You can be a feminine guy or a masculine girl and be straight. Society just helps you believe you can't.
     Now I can't empathize with the gay. I haven't ever dealt with these issues and I haven't felt what they feel. I believe none of us are given the right to judge ANYONE! I can't judge my brother because he has tattoos just because I don't agree with them. I can't judge someone who like to party just because I feel like it's not okay. Just like someone can't judge me for being depressed sometimes just because they haven't ever felt that way. I can, though, still love them and treat them with respect because I know that my Heavenly Father loves them. I believe the only unforgivable sin is to completely deny God. If my Heavenly Father can love everyone, well then I can too.
     On the rights of gay marriage, yes, I do not agree that it is okay. I'm sorry if I offend someone. But, I also do not agree that it is the government's duty to get into the middle of it. I can't tell my gay friends not to be gay, they still will be. So why can we tell them not to marry? They will still live together anyways. Two people of the opposite gender can live together and the government doesn't deny them rights of a married couple if they have lived together for a certain amount of years. I don't agree with that either, but I can't judge them and tell them not to. I have lots of loved ones who have or are doing just that.
     In the end, I can't judge. I feel sorry for those that do judge others. It's not our place. Just because you may not want to hang out with them all the time or surround yourself with those who you feel will be a bad influence one you, it doesn't mean you can't love them. This is for everything. Have empathy for others. For those who don't know the difference, sympathy is feeling sorry because you have been there and understand the sorrow. Empathy is that you may not know from experience, but you can try to understand. As a Christian, it hurts me to see other Christians judge those who do things they don't agree with. All that does is push them away. Do you really want to push them away from the blessings? Stand your ground on your beliefs, but don't push them upon others. I know it seems many of my faith do this, but I promise you, we have been taught since we were little to not judge and love everyone. The strongest way to help others is by example, not words.
     I have a testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I have so many blessings and happenings that reassure me of this each and every day. I know that my Savior was brought to this earth and will return again. I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and I know that we have one today in President Monson. Without the guidance of the prophets for modern day experiences, I know we couldn't understand so much. I know that so many bad opinions of my church are out there because so much is misunderstood. Please don't judge us, just ask. We all believe in the same things. This is one of the many glories of the church. We all believe that homosexuality is a sin. How it is dealt with is part of our free agency, so you may have different opinions. I only say that because though we all have the same roots and same spiritual beliefs, we all are different.
      I love each of you.

~Maeg


Matthew 5:44- 5:45, 5:48
"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the the unjust.... Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

No comments:

Post a Comment